Owyhee Conservation District
The function of the Owyhee Conservation District is to take available technical, financial, and educational resources, whatever their source, and focus or coordinate them so that they meet the needs of the local land user for conservation of soil, water, and related resources.
Planning and Service
Provide for involvement of other agencies, organizations and individuals in the annual planning and implementation of district operations and programs.
- Indentify and prioritize resource concerns within the District in order to coordinate with the NRCS in resource planning and program implementation.
- Continue cooperation with the NRCS on the snow survey program. Continue efforts to install an automated aerial marker near the Van Norman Ranch and Indian Creek.
- Provide support for the Farm Bill Programs.
- Continue cooperation with all agencies on water quality problems when identified within the District.
- Encourage the NRCS to develop Order 2 soil surveys on irrigated and intensively used lands and to initiate soil surveys on USFS lands.
- Provide technical assistance to land users on planning and implementation of conservation practices.
- Assist NRCS on outreach programs to insure that all land users are aware of available assistance.
- Continue coordination with the USFS on the Travel Management Plan, and any other Travel Management Plans proposed by agencies.
Noxious Weed Program
- Continue the Noxious Weed Control Program within the District.
- Implement a record keeping system using GPS to track weed spraying efforts.
- Continue rehabilitation projects along county road right of ways where weed spraying has been successful. (i.e. from Mori Ranch to IL mailbox and along Tuscarora roadways)
- Work with BLM and USFS to continue weed management.
- Participate in the Humbolt River Watershed Cooperative Weed Management Area with their cooperative efforts related to noxious weed control program.
- Coordinate with the Northeastern Nevada Stewardship Group on the Tuscarora Fuels and Weed Management Plan and implement practices within the plan.
- Provide a district equipment program that will benefit cooperators in implementing conservation practices.
Information and Education Program:
- Sponsor interested participants to the annual Range Camp.
- Provide assistance to schools within the District on conservation education as requested.
- Cooperate with the Great Basin College Agriculture Department for sites used for classroom programs if needed.
- Support the Elko County CWMA Annual Weed Summit.
- Continue scholarship program for students within the Owyhee CD.
- Support the NV College of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources.
- Participate in the elk management plan for western Elko County.
- Support the local sage grouse management plan.
- Participate in the local wild horse management plan.
- Support the evolving Nevada Sagebrush Ecosystem Council and participate in projects as funds permit.
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of HabitatCAN.
Owyhee Conservation District is not employed by or affiliated with the Habitat Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.